Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Life Lessons from Soccer 2009

The Prettiest Girl on the Soccer Team
(we think so anyway)


In the past we have tried Ashley in dancing class...which was a hoot but she was not really interested. So this summer, since our house is now delayed until at least December 2009, we thought we would try and enrol her in a Soccer League for little Tykes ages 4 and 5. Well what a hoot! Honestly, Game #1 was the best entertainment in the world....

Picture 10 little girls in Yellow jerseys running every which way on the field, then some run towards their parents to say Hi, running towards the wrong net but still excited to kick the ball in, and the yellow team having a chat as they run up the field while the Blue team takes over the game....so funny!!!

Well, I believe over this summer we will have a lot of Life lessons as we enjoy this game together as a family. At game #1 Ashley really really wanted to score a goal....she has a few books on Dora playing soccer so she knew a little about the game. Well first game, no goal happened for her! So by the end of the game, just before we went home she was on the ground, arms folded and stubborn as a mule (Just like dear Nan Pretty used to get in her later years). Daddy had to do some fine talking to her to get her to the car....

Thankfully, before bedtime she was quite happy and proclaimed "I didn't score a goal but I was a great saver for the team". (She did save a ball from going in the teams net). Phew.....Life Lesson #1...from Game #1.

The next day I spoke to a coworker about the first game, she is a coach herself and gave me some parental words of encouragement as we chatted about the life lessons. Of course we always want it to be fun...but she told me something she always told her boys "Whatever little bit you do during the game, whether it be kicking the ball a little way up the field, blocking a goal, or scoring a goal...you are always helping the team!"

....Isn't that true in life as we older ones know it too? We can't always score the goals, or get the biggest prize etc...but we all have an important part to play in this game of Life.

Man, I think I am in for a few life lessons myself this summer....stay tuned...more stories will come.

I will post only a few pictures of Our #5 Soccer girl....as I don't have permission from the other parents to post pics of their girls. On another note....we learned that when Ashley's Poppy King played Soccer he was #5 as well. I think that is pretty cool.....
Happy Summer Everyone...now if we can get the weather to warm up and stay that way for a few months, it will be awesome...
Dana



Cheese Mommy!!

This is serious concentration here ....getting ready to KICK that ball.

Don't mess with #5, she has a Great KICK ya know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment